Wednesday, March 26, 2014

I was wrong about the Superior Spider-Man



 I’ve avoided reading Superior Spider-Man in the past out of the principle of the thing. Spider-Man is my favorite superhero because of his virtue and his sense of responsibility. Essentially, it’s not the web-slinger that I love; it’s Peter Parker.
 
So about a year ago when Marvel Comics “killed off” Peter Parker (on the cusp of Stan “the man” Lee’s 90th Birthday no less!) I was outraged and vowed not to even give the “New Superior Spider-Man” the benefit of the doubt. Otto Octavius “Doc Oct” had killed Parker and taken over his body all with the intent of stealing Parker’s life and becoming a better Spider-Man. He then proceeds to be a huge jerk to EVERYONE and becomes a much more self-seeking, ruthless, and pompous version of our hero. While he’s being a jerk, we’re supposed to follow along and root for him? No, thank you! This sort of thing is not welcome in my subscription box!

Then I got word that Peter Parker was going to make a comeback this April! Such wonderful news! I happily grabbed up a few issues of Superior Spider-Man so that I could watch that poser fall to the ground in flames while Peter made his triumphant return!

Boy was I surprised by what I actually saw…

During the course of this “Goblin Nation” story arch, we learn that Peter is still in Doc Oct’s head. He’s just a few scattered memories clinging to the old Peter Parker identity while trying to remain hidden among Otto’s memories. The poor guy nearly lost himself in the mess that was Otto’s life, but in the end he found himself. He remembered that he was Peter Parker and all the heartache and joy that came with that name. He wasn’t just scattered memory anymore; he was back and ready to fight for his life again.
Meanwhile outside the mindscape, the Superior Spider-Man was fighting a losing battle against the Green Goblin and his Goblin Nation. The woman that Otto loved was in danger, New York was burning, and even the Avengers have in mind to lock Spider-Man up when they get their hands on him! Quite a mess you’ve made here, Superior Spider-Man.
In the chaos and confusion of failing the city so completely, Otto nearly lets an innocent child get killed by the Goblin. Peter Parker shows his hand by mentally urging Otto to leap into action and save the child’s life. Now Otto knows that Peter’s consciousness is alive in the back of his mind and powerful enough to contend with him should he choose to do so. 
This is what the former Doctor Octopus had to say to that:

“I didn’t really know what I was in for. I was arrogant... No. It’s more than that. We’ve both been in each other’s heads. We know the truth. I’m arrogant, yes, but it’s because I know…underneath it…that I’m not the best. I’m flawed, so I overcompensate.
But you…you’re guilt ridden because deep down, you know that you are smarter than others. Better. But it came at a painful price. So you sabotage yourself. That won’t happen today. You said it yourself, when lives are at stake, you don’t hesitate. Today you must accept that you…are Superior.”

Otto Octavius then proceeds to completely erase himself for Parker’s mind. His childhood, his accomplishments, his failures, and even the woman he loves all disintegrate before his and Parker’s eyes. To save the city, to save the woman he loves; Otto finally allows himself to die so that Peter Parker can save them all with no distractions.
If I was shocked by this villain’s selfless, kind, and humble sacrifice, you can imagine Peter’s shock. He’s Spider-Man once again, but not because he had to fight for his life. It was because Otto gave his life up. Otto saved Spider-Man and now it’s his responsibility to save the city from the goblins and to save Anna Marie (Otto’s love) or the sacrifice will have been for nothing. Thus, the web-slinger returns.

I was wrong about Superior Spider-Man. I’ve been too harsh and I’d judged too quickly. Otto did learn a thing or two while he was in Peter’s head. He was never the hero that was Peter Parker, but he was heroic in the end.

So I encourage you to pick up a copy of The Superior Spider-Man #30 (Goblin Nation part 4) if you come across it at your local comic shop. Not just for the return of Peter Parker, but for the last heroic act of Otto Octavius as well. It was a truly good piece of writing.


 Superior Spider-Man (2013) #30

Published: March 26, 2014
Rating: Rated T
Writer: Dan Slott
Cover Artist: Giuseppe Camuncoli

"Goblin Nation" - Part 4 of 5 Since the start of DYING WISH, it has ALL been building to this.One of the most important moments of the ENTIRE Superior Spider-Man Saga!Once this happens, it CANNOT be undone!DO NOT MISS THIS ISSUE!



Thanks for reading, true believers! TTYL.

No comments: