Friday, December 26, 2008

Merry ChristMass!

Wishing you a Happy ChristMass (sorry it's a little late).

Most of us know what ChristMass really means (even if we pretend that its just about family and presents) and we all know how its been commercialized (we have movie after movie to prove that).

Today I got to see my little 5-year-old cousin. She hugged me four times before I left and then walked me to the car.
She made me think about myself at that age when I would be jumping up and down for ChristMass and longing to see my family. I would cling to anyone that showed the slightest interested in playing with me (being a bit of a black sheep) and drive that person crazy to the point that they'd avoid me later. ;-p

I am of course tempted to think of that as a terrible thing, but it wasn't when you really think about it.

My little 5-year-old cousin has always found it easy to get along with people and has good friends to play with all the time I'm sure.
So I wondered why she would feel so attached to me.
I think that its because of me feeling like a black sheep for all those years. I believe that, understanding what that's like, I'm more ready to give all my attention to someone that needs it and I really doubt that I would be able to do that without that experience.

Little things like asking a question about a toy after the kid has shown it off for a full ten minutes instead of just saying "that's neat" always made me feel, not only like I was being listened to, but like I was worth listening to (even though a Barbie doll isn't all that interesting at all).

Show a little extra love and affection to a person that needs it. Because God said that, "what you did to the least of my children, you did to me." Isn't that all anyone ever wants for their Birthday? I little extra love and affection?

MERRY CHRISTMASS!!!
Especially to all you Charlie Browns out there. ;-)

.

2 comments:

Melody said...

I think you hit the nail exactly. You're right about talking to children. The barbie's not worth any time or consideration, but the child is...thank you for putting things in perspective again.
You have a knack for that.
Merry Christmas!!

Casey said...

Thanks, Melody.
And Merry ChristMass to you, too.