Thursday, October 30, 2008

Superheroes in a Nutshell

Well...where do I begin?
Perhaps I should start with what I mean by, "Where Superheroes are more than powers and costumes."

We all have to admit that those are probably the things that drew us to superheroes in the first place. I know that's what drew me to them, but that's not why I stuck with them over the years.

We have to admit that the world we live in is messed up in more ways than one. We live in a world where everyone tells us that our own happiness matters more than anything and that taking the easy way out of things is not only acceptable, but preferred.
We see it in books, movies, at home, and almost every where else in America and more!

But a few years ago, I went to see a movie. This film said the exact opposite of the above.
A teenager, Peter Parker, is suddenly gifted with amazing powers. Does he suddenly decide to become a superhero? No. He decides that this power can benefit him, make him some extra cash, and possible win him the girl of his dreams. Then tragedy strikes due to his selfishness and he realizes just how wrong his line of thinking was.

Despite it cutting into his social life, the hard work that it entitles, and the sheer thanklessness of it all, he becomes my favorite Superhero in comics, Spider-Man.

After I saw that movie I decided to look a little further into what these heroes had to offer and got into comic books.
Almost every comic book (almost meaning not always the T+ comics that show girls in bikinis and gore every three pages) sent the message that your own personal happiness isn't more important than other's and that hard work may not always pay off here, but is well worth it always.

Other than Mass every Sunday, I never hear this kinda message from anywhere else. That is why Superheroes are more than just powers and costumes. They are one of the last places that strong morals are printed on paper for all to see.

Well, thanks for reading through that. I hope that you'll come back around to see my future posts here that (I promise) won't always be about Spider-Man (though many of them will be).

1 comment:

Melody said...

You said it.
And excelent writing, by the way.